Followers

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

How Do You Define Caring Enough For Your Little One?


Few days back someone in the family mentioned that I care too much for my daughter, that my hubby and I care too much for her, more than enough, and that, in a way, we are spoiling her.

I didn't really answer back then, as it would have been a tricky situation - I'm always super-defensive, angry and irritated when someone talks this kind of senseless talk.

I mean, how do you define 'caring enough' for your kids? As a parent, isn't that what you're actually supposed to do?

I've prided myself in making my daughter a sensible, independent, smart, compassionate and understanding human being. She may be all of 5, but her sensibility, sense of compassion and understanding of the world and people around her are outstanding, something other parents and even her teachers have time and again told us about.

So what does someone mean by 'caring enough' for your little one?

Times today are changing and so is parenthood, by leaps and bounds. What our parents did a generation ago may have worked perfectly then, but put that in today's
fast and changed parent-kid zone and chances are, they may not work that great.

So, while this person mentioned that earlier kids didn't need so much pestering with food, that they would themselves ask for food and milk to drink, I found it a little weird. I can't believe a 3/4 year old walking up to parents and saying 'yes, give me milk, now more milk.' I can't imagine that, honestly.

Another fact that our children have to work with today is the vast range of choices they have and the immense amount of distraction that's there in their life. The person who mentioned the 'caring enough' bit said that we parents are responsible for creating so much chaos in our kids' lives, that we are the ones who are distracting them and making it more difficult for them.

I would surely differ.

Today, with so much exposure to media, global trends and other things in general, it's obvious that children are way more aware of what's going on around them and what's available and not available. Of course there are two sides to any situation and this too has a good and bad side to it. But just because something has negatives attached to it doesn't mean you should overlook the positives.

As a parent, I believe that you can never 'care enough' for your kids. It is what you are supposed to do now that you have this lovely blessing in your life - caring for your baby as long as you can, as long as they will let you.

For, before we know it, these years shall pass, and then they'll be in their own separate 'growing up' world altogether.....how I'll miss these times then :-(

- Debolina Raja Gupta

**********************************************
And like I always believe in and say:
'Heal the world we live in
Save it for our children' - MJ

Happy Parenting!!!!

Be good to your little one, and to the millions of little ones out there who truly need every bit of love and compassion they can get.....Be a grown up...save the little ones.... Debolina Raja Gupta

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...