Followers

Friday, August 8, 2014

10 Things You Can Do While Breastfeeding: Say YES To YOU

 14 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Breastfeeding
image source

Yes so it's the breastfeeding week (NO, it doesn't mean you have to breastfeed your baby this week! It means you have to breastfeed your baby for 6 MONTHS exclusively right from birth!) :)

Last year I talked a lot lot lot about breastfeeding, through the entire week, but this time, I think I will talk a little less and give all you mums out there to do some quiet time and spend it with your baby instead - breastfeeding.

I have been off feeding for the past 2 months now (my younger one stopped at 10 months) and there is no plan to have a 3rd one...so yes, I am off that...

But let me tell you that I am super proud of myself, as I am one of those moms who EXCLUSIVELY fed the kids on myself for the first 6 months of life - not even a drop of water, no matter who says what, including family (yes, some of them can still be quite the cave people when it comes to facts about breastfeeding!)

While I was feeding, unlike what so many people told me, I found time to do a lot of stuff! I started back on my work once my younger one turned 2 months, but as now I have 2 kids at home, I don't want to leave them with a maid, plus managing schedules with work is also a hassle, especially in a city like Mumbai. So I have thankfully managed to get that cushy position where I can do all my work the way I was earlier doing, but can now do it only from home.....Yes, I am really lucky!!!

There was so much to do while my younger one was much younger....and I knew I couldn't afford to not do anything at all for all of those feeding sessions. So, I did do a lot.....

But one thing I would like to remind you again is that though it is easy, having a phone close to your baby is not good, as it creates a lot of radiation. So try and opt for the other options as much as possible!

10 Things I Did While Breastfeeding :)



1. Read!
Reading to children, even before they can understand words, teaches them to associate books with love and affection. 

image source

Absolutely true..Plus the fact that I have soooo many books and soo many still on my wishlist...reading while feeding was something I did all the time :) Honestly, this is what I did the MOST :)

2. Listening to Music

i Like to sing, I LOVE to dance, But just sitting and listening to music is my therapy when everything is going great as well as Bad!!!!!! Musical therapy❤❤❤ 


image source

It's a great stress buster and makes you feel all peppy and happy and not bored at all...even while there is a little one who is feeding on you and about to doze off :) Listening to music especially helped me during the late night feeds, as I was very conscious of not falling asleep while the baby was feeding.

3. Face Pack Time
DIY green tea face mask: Mix 3 tablespoons of cool tea with 3 or 4 tablespoons of rice flour. Add just enough rice flour so that the mixture is smooth and spreadable, but not runny. Add more tea if it is too thick.
image source

Aaahhh.....sooo relaxing...imagine you don't even have to risk bumping into anyone while you are all gloopied up in a face pack! And no more worries about not finding enough time to do some much needed self care while you have a little baby to feed. Put on that face mask, feed your baby, put your head back, close your eyes and relax. And remember to hide your face from the baby ;)

4. Watching Vlogs
#Canon's #4k Multipurpose Camera concept weakens knees, shoots video. We go hands-on! (Video)  Hands-on 

image source

I love vlogs...they are a great way to kick off any depression and loneliness (and I know for a fact that moms who have younger babies do feel this a lot of the time, especially while you're feeding and there is no one to talk to.) But vlogs were what kept me really interested and also awake through the nights. I am an insomniac, so though it was very easy for me to stay up till dawn, I loved the fact that I could go through so much content while feeding.

5. Watch Movies

Let's crawl under a big blanket and watch movies viatheuniversityffproject #Relax

image source

Ya I wish...but all I did was catch up on my favourite movies on the phone as well as on TV. Loads of them...and let me tell you it was a great time....I in fact missed those moments when I stopped feeding!

6. Get Those Toe Nails Painted
Painting toenails... Who doesn't like to be pampered and fussed over. Relationship builder :). See if he will let you return the favor.
image source

Everyone is allowed a little bit of fantasy, isn't it? Well, while this may not really be the picture while you are breastfeeding (are you that lucky though?? If yes, please please please comment and let me know) ;) you can always ask your partner to paint those toesies for you.... What better way to get some fun in your life by adding a pop of color?

7. Meditate
As we awaken to our INTERCONNECTEDNESS with Nature & All That Is, we merge with Universal Consciousness, creating a better world for all...
image source

I don't meditate, but if I did, I think it would have to be something like this feeling that this image gives...beautiful isn't it? Well, I have never meditated, but if you do, I am sure breast feeding is a good time to do so, especially when your baby is a little settled and comfy. Of course you can't do the intricate stuff, but you can always do simpler things, like breathing exercises and all.

8. Help With Studies

I keep seeing this pop up and still want to make some.  Better start saving some cans. 

image source

It was not the best thing to do, but as I was running short of time, I decided I had no choice but to start helping my elder daughter with her homework even while I was feeding, especially through the first six months. I used a nursing cloak even at home, so it was pretty ok. Plus I would ensure I was always turned away and only turned back to look over at my daughter's work, to avoid any awkward questions right then about feeding. Also, I would try and pick work that needed her to learn words or learn things, and would let her sit and read through. Else I would show her page numbers from which she could do her activities and learn.

9. Phone Games
Playing Games on Our Nokia Phones

image source

I am not a big phone gamer, but I do love my word games. I did play quite a lot of interesting word games on the phone while I was feeding.
 
10. Rest
Twitter / actionhappiness: It is time to rest ... 
image source

Yes, it may sound like a waste of time, but resting is crucial, especially for a new mommy and till the time you are feeding. How well your body feels will reflect directly in your baby, so make sure you take ample care of yourself. Of course it is not practically possible to head to a spa and relax there, but you can always find your moments at home, even when you are feeding, even if for only 5 minutes. Close your eyes, tilt your head back and breathe easy. Trust me, it does help.

This was what I used to do while feeding my baby both times. If you like the blog, maybe you can subscribe and read me more while feeding ;) Just suggesting lol...

- Debolina Raja Gupta

**********************************************
And like I always believe in and say:
'Heal the world we live in
Save it for our children' - MJ

Happy Parenting!!!! Be good to your little one, and to the millions of little ones out there who truly need every bit of love and compassion they can get.....Be a grown up...save the little ones.... Debolina Raja Gupta

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...