Followers

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Managing Sleep With A New-Born: Diary Of A New Mum



image source

My new one is exactly a month and a half now, and going by the lack of posts here, you can probably guess how it's going at home, with me off work for the moment, off blogging kind of and rarely getting to do much than being a mommy and mommy only!


Life has come back on track, especially so since I had an amazingly fast recovery even after the C-sec birth..all thanks to my doc! In a week I was back on my feet and going out! So, the only thing that's keeping me away from most other things that I do as a regular part of my life is the constant and crazy lack of sleep, especially since I've had non-sleeping babies both times! Just my luck!

While it's true that a newborn mom should sleep every time a baby sleeps, it's not always possible, what with there being people in the house and other sounds or stuff that may disturb you.

One benefit that most new mothers in India have is that they have some or the family member coming over and staying to extend help and support for the first few weeks, if not more. Make use of this help. And if there's no one planning to come over, ask your hubby for support.

The key is to try and find those gaps in between feed and wakefulness when you can sneak in a few winks too. One such time is surely when baby is sleeping. If you haven't got a chance to take a shower in the day and are planning to take one while baby is sleeping, you may push it to late night or late evening, when hubby comes home and can hold the baby. If you're not going out anyways, it's fine to take a shower in the night when hubby can help with holding and looking after the baby.

If there are other members in the house, ask them to hold baby during the day, even while baby is awake, and shut yourself away from all noise and disturbance. Try and get at least a 30 minute nap if not more. It's a much-needed energy booster that can help you tide through a sleep-deprived day.

Also, most babies sleep better when on their tummy, but of course this is something that you need to be absolutely sure of that you'll be able to care.....and manage...If you're comfortable, sit on a rocking chair or a chair that leans back and put baby on your tummy on baby's tummy. Put your head back and wrap a comfortable sheet over baby and you. Try and doze with baby......

I've been trying a few of these myself, but since my baby is one who takes really much less amount of sleep than is needed for newborns, I am still looking for more 'real' tips from other mums out there...Do share your tips here with me and let me know if any of this helped you!

- Debolina Raja Gupta

**********************************************
And like I always believe in and say:
'Heal the world we live in
Save it for our children' - MJ
Happy Parenting!!!!

Be good to your little one, and to the millions of little ones out there who truly need every bit of love and compassion they can get.....Be a grown up...save the little ones.... Debolina Raja Gupta

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...