Followers

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Practice Before You Preach

image source

 So a few days back me and my daughter were having a conversation about why it is okay for me to do certain things while she is not allowed to do them. Oh yeah, I remember now, the discussion was about using 'bad words.'

 I explained that sometimes, grown ups 'can' do certain things because they were good as kids and didn't use those words then..... I know, one of the lamest reasons I could come up with at that time!

Anyways, my daughter told me that grown ups should teach good things to kids, but should also practice those good things themselves. For, if they ARE good things, we should obviously practice them. And if they ARE bad things, how do they turn when a grown up does them?


I tell you it's getting increasingly difficult for me to answer her queries, especially the logical ones, these days!

All said and done, I completely get the fact that as a mother, in fact, as a parent, we need to teach our kids those things that we can ideally also incorporate in our lives, even though we have managed to turn 'grown ups.'

By this, I don't mean that we also need to be in bed by, say, 8pm. That is something where you can clearly demarcate the area, saying that some rules are definitely something that kids are required to follow. What you need to try and practice in your life is the lifestyle mostly.

 I have never liked the idea of my children having colas, and today, I can proudly say that my 6 year old has hardly ever taken any cola or soft drink. At parties or anywhere that she is offered a cola, she politely refuses. I don't have to worry that once I am not around, she will end up having it. That fear is gone. She is tuned to the fact that colas are bad for her health, and there is absolutely nothing good that can come out of it. Also the fact that I never ever have a Coke or a Pepsi or any of these aerated drinks myself. My daughter knows that I truly believe they are bad for health, hence it is easier for her to refuse them.

 Another very easy thing that my daughter picked up is to know when to say 'please' 'thank you' and 'sorry.' So be it a driver, a help at home, a shopkeeper or basically anyone, she goes ahead and makes sure to say 'thank you.' Same with 'sorry,' though that can sometimes make her a bit conscious, as she feels all eyes will be on her. As a parent, she has seen me be generous with my thank-yous. My daughter, who is all of 6 now, can appreciate from about the age of 4 the kindness and the help that others do. And she realises that these people are indeed important in our lives. So even if it is a house help who may help her with something, my daughter, even today, promptly tells her thanks.

 Teaching kids is something we are needed to do, as parents. Giving them a lifestyle and a positive and clear attitude in life is something we should be doing.

 It is right that practice before you preach can sometimes be quite tricky, especially when you have to sit down and explain it to your kids. But most of the times, you can easily lead by example.


- Debolina Raja Gupta

**********************************************
And like I always believe in and say:
'Heal the world we live in
Save it for our children' - MJ
Happy Parenting!!!!

Be good to your little one, and to the millions of little ones out there who truly need every bit of love and compassion they can get.....Be a grown up...save the little ones.... Debolina Raja Gupta

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...