Wow....so baby is almost 4 weeks now and you're readying to celebrate the milestone of reaching the 'month' tag....Congratulations mommy and daddy...you've been doing great!
There's been so many changes in the little one since you first looked into that most beautiful face, and each day is a new revelation, a new change....so much going on with this tiny little person! Whoa!!!
So what all does baby have in store for you to be surprised at as baby enters the 4th week?
What the 4-week old baby will be doing:
- So this is big, baby is growing, and right now, baby isn't just a tiny bundle wrapped cosy and sleeping peacefully. Baby demands much more in terms of attention and there's a lot of 'communication' that will be happening.
- You can expect to hear a lot different sounds that baby makes. Remember, these aren't just 'sounds', these are baby's way of communicating with you, of reaching out to you
- Cooing, gurgling, grunts and any other sound that baby voluntarily makes are all signs that baby wants to chat with YOU!
- These are all ways to get your attention, to talk to you, to tell you what baby is excited about, what baby is feeling, what baby wants
- At this age, baby will slowly be able to hold head a little better
- Of course you need to be EXTREMELY careful while holding baby's neck and head, as baby is still a head wobble doll....and will continue to remain so for the next few months (yes)
- The head movements will be a little more controlled, even if for a few seconds
- Also, at this age, baby's head will start developing into a more definite shape
- Baby will learn to show different emotions through expressions!
- So, you can be prepared to see many many many new expressions on baby's face, sometimes all at the same time one after the other, sometimes in parts, sometimes spaced far apart
- Happiness, smiles, pout, scared, sleepy, surprised, inquisitive, concentrating - there are these and so so many more expressions that baby will be making - so watch out for these amazing moments
- Your 4-week old has way more personality than you would have given the tiny one credit for. So, don't be surprised when baby starts showing an independent personality of her own!
- This is a great time to start bonding with your little one, if you haven't been able to do so earlier
- This stage marks the beginning of touch therapy, where the more you touch baby and share your love, the more alert and happy baby is
- Bond with baby over massage time, cuddle your baby, pick up baby in your arms, soothe baby, rock baby, talk to baby, sing to baby. Spend lots of time with baby
So how are YOU doing mommy? With so much attention going towards the baby, it's completely normal if you are feeling left-out. There's no need to feel guilty about it, we all go through this.
- If you have been holed up in the room/home (which is probably true in most cases), then this is the time when you can start claiming your life back bit by bit.
- Go out for a little walk, call over friends, or head out to the mall for a small shopping trip :-) It always makes us feel good no matter what we buy, right?
- Baby's feeding needs are growing and will continue to do so, so remember to eat well
- Rest is important, all that work can happen later. So sleep whenever you can, sleep with baby.
- If you are done feeding and baby is awake, you can ask someone to be with baby while you take a peaceful nap.
- Take a nice shower - it's one of the luxuries of mommyhood, managing to get a long 5-minute shower time!
- Debolina Raja Gupta
And like I always believe in and say:
'Heal the world we live in
Save it for our children' - MJ
Be good to your little one, and to the millions of little ones out there who truly need every bit of love and compassion they can get.....Be a grown up...save the little ones.... Debolina Raja Gupta