Followers

Monday, February 9, 2015

How To Potty Train Your Baby: How I Potty Trained My 15 Month Old

makes me smile


image source

The one query I see on most parenting sites and forums is how to train your baby for the potty! Moms are petrified and worried and really really curious to know how to train the baby in basic bathroom routines.

When I had my first baby, I must say I was really clueless. I honestly felt that keeping my baby in the diaper was a good alternative than trying to run with her to the bathroom at odd hours all the time. Of course I wasn't well aware in the tricks and tips then! That said, my first born was potty trained by the time she was going to be 2 years....which is not something I am happy about now, seeing that I could have done better.

With my second born, it was wayyyyyy easier. In fact, she was potty trained by the time she was 15 months old. And no, it did not involve any special tricks or apps (surprisingly, most mommies these days are taking the help of a so-called popular potty training app, which I feel is more work than just training your baby yourself!) and I did not even have to push my baby for it.

To keep it simple, in case you too are readying to get your baby potty trained, you may read through the rest of the article. It worked out really well for me, and I hope it works out for you too :)

When Is The Best Time To Start Potty Training Baby?

What may be the best time for another baby may not be the best time for your's! That's the first thing
you need to remember. Your baby will already give you clues as to when she or he is comfortable. Ideally, the best time to start is when your baby is able to sit up on her own, without any support (and I mean not even keeping a hand at her back to help keep her steady.)

Potty Train Your Baby The Simplest And Easiest Way:

I bought a baby potty seat for my second born, the kind you keep on the floor for baby to sit on. This was when she was 12 months old. She HATED IT!!! She did not even sit on it for 1 single day! And it has remained in the bathroom corner ever since (yes, I have to remember to clean it up again and give it to someone who may need it.) Do remember that I helped her potty train over a period of 4 months and there were times when I did wonder if it was going to be of any use....If you too are wondering the same, give it some time. Don't expect any instant results and don't get upset if your baby does not listen to you right now. She may need some more time, so do let her have it :)

Here's what I did:

  1. When my baby was about eleven months of age, I started taking her to the washroom at regular intervals. I would take her to the wash basin and make a sheee sheee sound. Sometimes she would pee and many times she would not do anything. To keep it a little easy for myself, I first waited for her to finish her pots in the day and only then took her to the wash basin to prevent any mess.
  2. My baby would need about 2 to 3 diaper changes through the night, else she would be all wet by the time she woke up in the morning. This made me realize that she was peeing a lot through the night. I did pick her up in the middle of her sleep once or twice at night and made her pee at the wash basin. I would bring her back to bed and put her in a diaper again and pat her back to sleep.
  3. I continued with this routine till she crossed her first birthday. Slowly slowly she was getting acquainted to the fact that the bath room was where she needed to pee.
  4. Once she was 13 months of age, I bought a potty seat that can be put over a regular potty seat in the toilet. I got a very basic one and not the one that comes with stairs or rails. By this time my daughter knew she had to go to the bath room.
  5. Every morning when she woke up, I would give her a little milk and take her to the bath room. I showed her the potty seat and made her sit there. I sang rhymes to her and talked to her. I was also making the shee shee sound. I used to make this sound every time I took her to the bath room. The first few days she did not do anything there in the morning, or maybe a little pee.
  6. Slowly slowly she started pooping in the potty seat. This became a regular morning routine. Every day she would wake up at whatever time, have a little milk and then sit on the potty seat. 
  7. I would take her to the bath room every 20 minutes or so and make her sit on the potty seat. I would make the shee shee sound and she would pee, rarely not. Before taking her to the bathroom, I always pointed to the bath room and said 'Let's go the bath room. Let's do shee shee.' 
  8. As she reached the 15th month she had already started making the shee shee sound herself. This would mean a signal that she needed to go to the bathroom. She also started pointing towards the bathroom. Her morning routine was already set, she would poop in the bath room and signal me through the day whenever she needed to use the bath room.
  9. My younger daughter turns exactly 18 months (1 n half years) today. She now walks to the bath room herself whenever she wants to pee or poop (which she does in the morning every day.) She can control her peeing while I take her to the bath room and does it there. She has also started passing lesser urine through the night and instead goes to the bathroom before she sleeps.
  10. I did not scold or force her to potty train and did not use anything else other than a basic baby potty seat.
These tips helped me get my baby potty trained at 15 months. Hope it helps you too :)

- Debolina Raja Gupta

**********************************************
And like I always believe in and say:
'Heal the world we live in
Save it for our children' - MJ

Happy Parenting!!!!

Be good to your little one, and to the millions of little ones out there who truly need every bit of love and compassion they can get.....Be a grown up...save the little ones.... Debolina Raja Gupta

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...